Re: Connect error

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)hank(dot)org>
Cc: Russell Shaw <rjshaw(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connect error
Date: 2004-01-12 16:04:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:42:41 -0800,
Bill Moseley <moseley(at)hank(dot)org> wrote:

> I don't know php, but is it (or Apache) running as user russell? If
> not, then you can't authorize by IDENT.

It is possible to authenticate using ident using a map that says the
webserver account is allowed to use the db account "russell". The web server
must either be on the same machine uisng domain sockets for connecting
(which looks to be the case here) or be running an ident server.

If you do this you are implicitly trusting the web server account, which
might not be a good idea in some circumstances. You might want to create
a separate db account for the web server with miminal privileges needed
for its task.