Re: UserLinux with MySQL

From: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UserLinux with MySQL
Date: 2003-12-20 13:03:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Saturday 20 December 2003 18:13, Kaarel wrote:
> http://userlinux.com/white_paper.html
>
> Check this out. They chose GNOME instead of KDE because Qt requires a
> proprietary license for commercial apps while GTK+ is fully GNU. As they
> put it the licensing "is the sole reason for this decision".
>
> But when it comes to databases they've chosen "MySQL with non-GPL
> libraries". How's this different from Qt vs GTK+?
>
> However he does say he is "not a database pro, and will listen to
> argument about the merits of other database servers". So perhaps
> PostgreSQL advocacy team has something to say here.

Does that mean postgresql is not included? I could not find any such thing on
userlinux.com.

Most distributions ship both of them. Slackware is one exception I know that
does not ship postgresql by default. But then most slack users know how to
get it on their system, I believe.

I think it is rather stretched to drag postgresql v/s mysql in GNOME v/s KDE.
Most probably userlinux will ship with psotgresql and mysql.

Let's wait and see..

 Shridhar

P.S. After all said and done, it is just another linux distribution. How far
it goes remains to be seen. Personally I think this war of getting included
into it(for GNOME/KDE) is rather overhyped, despite of high value names
associated with it. Let it prove itself and users will funnel it down the way
they want.