Re: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, speaker(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON 2004
Date: 2003-12-19 17:39:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
Folks,

> This does not have anything to do with who is talking
> to O'Reilly by the way.  Remember, they had a single
> point of contact failure last year and caused some
> hard feelings.  It is *good* that they've sent out
> notices to several of us.  Now we just have to act
> like we are sort of coordinated...

Yeah, it's just that they asked me yesterday if I was the "official" contact.
I do think that one person (picked by us) should talk to O'Reilly.  Otherwise
they're liable to receive multiple messages and get confused.

> Who's funding whom to do what at the conference?

Um ... funding?   I'm paying my own way; I presume that Bruce will get paid
for by his employer; otherwise we're pay-as-you-go.  We probably have  a
little money for printing stuff (like a few $100) but that's it.

Alternately, maybe it's time to try to get the fundraising operation into
gear.  Greg?  What's our status for setup?

> Just to clarify, I am not the "contact person" for O'Reilly, I
> just noticed that the call for participation was out and wanted
> to share that with the community.

Sorry, Greg.  I thought you worked with them and might want to be the contact.

> We need a central task tracking system rather than mailing list. We have
> discussed this before as well (I think)
>
> Mailing list is not the way to go at it.. Something like OGO(open
> groupware) would be good enough I guess..

I don't remember this discussion, Shridhar.   You have a server we can get
accounts on?  I do think that some sort of collaboration system is a good
idea, but not if we spend effort on the collaboration system that could be
spent on prep.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions