Re: fork/exec

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>,PostgreSQL Win32 port list <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fork/exec
Date: 2003-11-28 21:24:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
Tom Lane wrote:
> > The random seed value is unique per-backend, and we want to keep it
> > secure so we can't pass it on the command line.  I am not sure how to
> > deal with that.
>
> Uh, you mean the cancel key?  There's no need for the random() seed per
> se to be shared between postmaster and backend, AFAICS.

Oh, good.  I couldn't remember if it was the postmaster or child that
validates that key.  I now remember only the postmaster needs the secret
because it sends the signal.  Not sure what random seed Claudio was
asking about.  Probably GUC's "seed" parameter --- Claudio, that is
already covered in that GUC binary file I create that I mentioned in an
earlier email.