Re: Maximum Possible Insert Performance?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maximum Possible Insert Performance?
Date: 2003-11-24 04:29:04
Lists: pgsql-performance
William,

> I already have fsync off. Short of buying more hardware -- which I will
> probably do anyways once I figure out whether I need more CPU, memory or
> disk -- what else can I do to max out the speed? Operation mix is about
> 50% select, 40% insert, 10% update.

Disk.   Multi-channel RAID is where it's at, and/or RAID with a great write
cache enabled.  For really fast updates, I'd suggest 6-disk or even 8-disk
RAID 1+0.

As soon as you have gobs of extra disk space, jack your checkpoint_buffers way
up, like a couple of gigs.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions