Re: Call from Info World

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Call from Info World
Date: 2003-11-21 00:00:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 15:46, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> Here is the article:
> > > Interestingly, in trying to think of a visible open source project that
> > > isn't controlled by a company, I couldn't think of one.  Mozilla, PHP,
> > > Apache, MySQL, even perhaps Linux have one very visible company that has
> > > significant control over the project, while we do not.  Is there a good
> > > example someone can think of?
> >
> > Perl, amanda, Python, OpenACS and LTSP come to mind.
> >
> Hmm... I don't see amanda, openacs, or ltsp all that visible to the
> greater tech (ie. commercially driven) community, and Perl and Python
> aren't really the same; there not a piece of software like postgresql.

Yea, I said Apache didn't fit the list, but I was thinking of Sendmail
at the time, which is controlled by Sendmail, Inc.  (Talk about
confusing with PostgreSQL, Inc.  Yuck.)

Anyway, Apache might be closest.

> > I also get the impression that there's been a significant split between Zend
> > Inc. and the larger PHP community lately (over Parrot, mostly, I think), so
> > Zend obviously don't "control" the PHP project.
> >
> Well... I don't know that I would say they control the project, but it
> does seem that php's advances are directly linked to the direction of
> Zend. The whole zend engine underscores the point, and I think that a
> lot of the OO stuff in php5 was "eagerly desired" by the zend folks.

Well, here is a quote from my PHP International conference report:

> I spent time with a number of folks at the event.  One disturbing thing,
> without going into deals, is that the PHP development community seems to
> have every disfunction I can think of.  That upset me because I assumed
> open source development communities were just all big, happy places, but
> the reality I now know is quite different.  That scared me and I
> realized it could happen to PostgreSQL one day if we are not diligent.
> Sobering.

This "disfunction" includes being controlled mostly by what is good for Zend.

> The truth is that to be a "name" project you need to interface with the
> media, and the media is generally best at interfacing with companies.

Yep, but with our press release and contact, they seem to be able to deal with
our structured community too.

  Bruce Momjian                        |