Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5

From: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
To: Manfred Spraul <manfred(at)colorfullife(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, osdldbt-general(at)lists(dot)sourceforge(dot)net
Subject: Re: OSDL DBT-2 w/ PostgreSQL 7.3.4 and 7.4beta5
Date: 2003-11-02 04:43:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:29:34PM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> Mark Wong wrote:
>
> >Yeah, my dbt2 applications are multithreaded.
> >

> Do you need SIGPIPE delivery in your app? If no, could you try what
> happens if you apply the attached patch to postgres, and perform the
> signal(SIGPIPE, SIG_IGN);
> once in your dbt2 app?

Wow, that patch made a pretty big difference:
http://developer.osdl.org/markw/dbt2-pgsql/191/
- metric 1605.51

So no one has to look for older mail before I applied that patch:
http://developer.osdl.org/markw/dbt2-pgsql/190/
- metric 1427.24

Looks like about a 12% improvement in the overall metric. The first thing I
noticed is that do_sigaction in the kernel profile almost disappeared. The
top few functions in the database profile doesn't appear to have changed much.

Mark