Re: Disabling function validation

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disabling function validation
Date: 2003-10-07 16:58:24
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I think we should change the "check_function_bodies" to something more
> > general. I like "restore_validation_mode" because it could also be used
> > to disable foreign key checks which we are discussing. An even more
> > general idea would be to have something like "restore_mode", and perhaps
> > could handle cases like allowing a larger sort_mem or other
> > optimizations during restore.
>
> I also like this approach (independent of whether foreign keys should be
> one of its applications). It gives us more freedom to open and close
> these types of holes when new issues arise or pg_dump improves.

Should we add a variable that is set from the dump filew that identifies
the version of PostgreSQL that generated the dump?

SET dumped_version = 7.3

or something like that. We could test it in the PostgreSQL backend code
in case we have to handle something differently.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us