Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>,"Chad N(dot) Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Date: 2003-08-04 16:49:01
Lists: pgsql-docs
Chad, Scott:

> > Yes.  The documentation very clearly states using sequences instead of
> > auto-increment, but it doesn't make it clear that inserting the id's into
> > data by hand doesn't cause the sequence to be auto-matically incremented.
> >  It'd be nice of postgres had a way to trigger an update of the sequence
> > value after every insert containing an id clumn.

Um, how would this be a bennefit?   If you're inserting rows 101-259, how does
it benefit you to have the system automatically increment the sequence from
601-759?

FWIW, in 7.5 we're likely to implement SQL3 IDENTITY columns ... basically
just a SERIAL column where you don't have the option of inserting your own
value, you have to take what it gives you.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions