Re: Is the MySQL situation an opportunity or a distraction?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Nick Fankhauser <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is the MySQL situation an opportunity or a distraction?
Date: 2003-06-26 19:33:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 14:13:42 -0500,
Nick Fankhauser <nickf(at)ontko(dot)com> wrote:

> My fear is that too much outreach to the MySQL crowd will lead to PostgreSQL
> acquiring a split personality and loss of momentum- If we work too hard on
> the features that make PostgreSQL simple to install and administer, will it
> suck resources away from the efforts to maintain PostgreSQL as the clear
> leader in the areas of reliability and load-handling?

That kind of work has already been going on. The default postgresql.conf
is more likely to be suitable to what people have on their desk than
it was previously. The slowness of IN has been fixed. Automatic vacuum
is a contrib entry now. The problem with index growth on ever increasing
columns has been fixed. Explicit joins no longer restrict join order by
default. There are still some gotchas for new people (e.g. max and min),
but it is getting easier to have reasonable performance without having to
know anything.