Re: [SQL] faster output from php and postgres

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Chadwick Rolfs <cmr(at)shell(dot)gis(dot)net>, Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] faster output from php and postgres
Date: 2003-05-27 18:19:05
Lists: pgsql-phppgsql-sql
On Tuesday 27 May 2003 5:34 pm, Chadwick Rolfs wrote:
> So, I have the same problem, but I need all authors for each publication
> to show up in it's own column.  I tried the full join query from a
> suggestion off pgsql-sql, but it only returns ONE author id TWICE instead
> of ALL authors at once.
>
> I'll do some RTFMing of the joins.. and post any results I get
>
> BUT, right now, looping over each publication with php isn't taking that
> long.  I would like to know how to make this query, though!
>
> Please let me know how to get a result like:
>
> |All Authors|Title|Source|Year|Type|Length|Keywords|

Well, if you search the archives for terms "text", "concat", "aggregate" you
should come up with one solution. This involves writing your own aggregate
function, like SUM() but for text. Don't worry, it's not difficult. The only
issue is that you won't be able to guarantee the order of authors in the
field.

There might be something on this in my PostgreSQL Notes on
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ too - can't remember for sure.

--
  Richard Huxton