Re: Adding Rendezvous support to postmaster

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Chris Campbell <chris(at)bignerdranch(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding Rendezvous support to postmaster
Date: 2003-05-27 16:54:06
Lists: pgsql-patches

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I will apply this patch soon, and add a configure test looking for:
> >
> > #include <DNSServiceDiscovery/DNSServiceDiscovery.h>
> >
> > You reference that in your code, so it seems a logical way to set
> > HAVE_RENDEZVOUS.
>
> I think there should be a configure switch to turn it on or off. Compare
> handling of readline. Automatic discovery of optional features is evil.

Isn't "automatic discovery of optional features" what configure is all
about? We have a readline flag only because we want to force people to
know when they don't have it. I see this as similar to our move to make
syslog the default in all binaries that support it. I thought we were
avoiding additional configure flags.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us