Re: Help with LIKE

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "David Olbersen" <DOlbersen(at)stbernard(dot)com>,<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help with LIKE
Date: 2003-03-21 01:27:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

> My mistake, things don't get much better.
> I'm selecting URLs out of a database like this:
>   SELECT * FROM table WHERE url ~ '^http://.*something.*$';

That search still requires a seq scan, since it has "gaps" in the seqence of
characters.  That is,

url ~ '^http://www.something.*' could use an index, but your search above

You may be right that the standard OpenFTS indexing won't help you in this
case, since you're really searching for fragments of a continuous text

One thing I might suggest is that you look for ways that you might be able to
break out the text you're searching for with a function.  For example, if you
were searching strictly on the domain SLD name, then you could create an
"immutable"  function called if_split_sld(TEXT) and index on that.

If you are really searching for "floating" text within the string, I believe
that there are some options in tseach to help you, but they may not end up
improving performance much.

-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco