Re: Multifunction Indexes

From: elein <elein(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multifunction Indexes
Date: 2003-03-15 00:25:52
Lists: sfpug
As a workaround, push the lower() function into the
workflow() function. Of course if the workflow doesn't
always want lower($1) then you'll have to overload or rename it.

I'm don't know  the structures  like Stephen does.
But if a plain expression parser were used consistently
it should be able to enable expressions rather
than single functions.  The expression tree would need
to be held rather than the function function pointer.
And of course all of it should be immutable.

Then again theory is nice, but practice is a whole 'nother
ball game.

On Friday 14 March 2003 15:46, you wrote:
> Hi all,
> Anyone know if there are plans to add multifunction or function +
> column indexes in the near future? I'd like to be able to do this:
>    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX on workflow(LOWER(name), site_id);
> And this:
>    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX on workflow(LOWER(this), TEXT(that));
> And a related question. Until the above is implemented, I have VARCHAR
> and NUMERIC(10, 0) columns I want to create a UNIQUE index on, with the
> VARCHAR column LOWERed. To do this, I have to create a single function
> that takes one of each of these types. Is this an appropriate function?
>    CREATE   FUNCTION lower(TEXT, NUMERIC(10, 0))
>    WITH     (iscachable);
>    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX on workflow(lower(name, site_id));
> TIA,
> David

elein(at)varlena(dot)com     Database Consulting