Re: Multifunction Indexes

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multifunction Indexes
Date: 2003-03-15 00:38:54
Lists: sfpug
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, elein wrote:

> As a workaround, push the lower() function into the
> workflow() function. Of course if the workflow doesn't
> always want lower($1) then you'll have to overload or rename it.
>
> I'm don't know  the structures  like Stephen does.
> But if a plain expression parser were used consistently
> it should be able to enable expressions rather
> than single functions.  The expression tree would need
> to be held rather than the function function pointer.
> And of course all of it should be immutable.

Yeah, right now IIRC the index structure basically effectively has:
 Array of columns
 Function oid for functional indexes

That's also why you can't currently have constants in them, etc...

It needs work, but it's also probably likely to break/touch alot of stuff
to change, so that's why it's probably not been done.