Re: Data write speed

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Murthy Kambhampaty <murthy(dot)kambhampaty(at)goeci(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Data write speed
Date: 2003-02-27 16:57:32
Lists: pgsql-performance
Murthy,

> You could get mondo (http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/), then backup your
> system to CDs and restore it with the new filesystem layout. You might want
> to do these backups as a matter of course?

Thanks for the suggestion.   The problem isn't backup media ... we have a DLT
drive ... the problem is time.   This particular application is already about
4 weeks behind schedule because of various hardware problems.  At some point,
Kevin Brown and I will take a weekend to swap the postgres files to a spare
disk, and re-format the data array as pass-through Linux RAID.

And this is the last time I leave it up to the company sysadmin to buy
hardware for a database server, even with explicit instructions ... "Yes, I
saw which one you wanted, but the 2200S was on sale!"

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

pgsql-performance by date