Running pgAdmin2 under Unix: Wine or HBasic

From: Jean-Michel POURE <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
To: "pgadmin-hackers" <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Running pgAdmin2 under Unix: Wine or HBasic
Date: 2003-02-11 08:44:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dear friends,

Yesterday, I had a look at Wine manual in order to try to understand how to
register .ocx components, with the idea of running pgAdmin2 under Linux
without modifications.

Visual Basic is reported working "like a charm" on Wine application site. But
I don't understand whether ActiveX objects and compiled executables can
co-exist under Wine. If anyone has informations about pgAdmin under Wine, I
would really appreciate it.

Furthermore, reading threads on the Wine developper list, I found the web
address of a crazy project, http://hbasic.sourceforge.net/, which seems to be
a port of Visual Basic to Linux with .NET features. The project is released
under GPL and is the work of a single developper. [What's more funny is that
yesterday evening, I started reading "The cathedral and the Bazaar" which I
bought at FOSDEM. And the same day I found that some guy coming out of
nowhere had ported VB to Linux in the timeframe of a year and a half. We are
living in an amazing world.]

I was not able to compile HBasic under Linux, because some files are missing.
In the INSTALL file, the author explains that he is using Qt31 but did not
test the application under Qt30. I sent an email to the author, but some of
you(r smart guys) might also be interested in trying to compile HBasic.

HBasic offer the following features:
- VB syntax,
- text editor,
- dialog and menu editors,
- Interpreted or compiled execution,
- Integration of third party widgets (probably designed in Qt-designer,
provided that you follow some quidelines),
- Integration of third party libraries and C++ code,
- Compilation under .NET (sorry I don't know anything about .NET).

Frank Luppo submitted really nice patches lately (thanks!). Running pgAdmin2
under Linux, one way (Wine) or another (HBasic), would be another "solution
for the lazy". What do you think?

Cheers, Jean-Michel

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: XIE, RongDate: 2003-02-12 10:41:44