Re: 7.3.1 update gives PHP libpq.so.2 problem

From: "Jules Alberts" <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3.1 update gives PHP libpq.so.2 problem
Date: 2003-02-05 08:24:47
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-php
Op 4 Feb 2003 (15:12), schreef Jules Alberts <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>:
> Op 5 Feb 2003 (0:54), schreef Matthew Horoschun <mhoroschun(at)canprint(dot)com(dot)au>:
> > Hi Jules,
> >
> > On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 12:06  AM, Peter De Muer (Work)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > try making a soft link  libpq.so.2 to the libpq.so.3 file  that comes
> > > with
> > > PHP 7.3.1.

> > I think he wanted to avoid the soft link (or hard link for that
> > matter)... Its not a neat solution. Generally the whole reason for
> > changing library major numbers it to let the users know that the
> > exports have changed and that you'll need to recompile your client!
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/news.php?NewsID=105

> > You're right. Its good practice to use your package system wherever
> > possible. However, how about using a RPM source package?
> >
> > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/SRPMS/php-4.1.2-
> > 7.src.rpm
>
> Hello Matthew, thanks for your reaction. Would using a src RPM make any
> difference? I guess I would do a ./configure, make and make install and
> wonder just as much where alle the binaries etc. have ended up as if
> when I had used a tarball source install (pardon my Dutch :-).
>
> Are applications made ("maked") from source RPMs easier to deinstall as
> apps made from tarball sources?
>
> TIA!

I tried to do a source install (what I don't really want) of PHP. It
doesn't work, complains about not finding libpq-fe.h, even when I
specify the correct postgresql path. I know there probably is a
solution for this too, but what's next?

Well, life's short and there's a lot of work to do. I'm going back to
7.2 with binary RPMs.