Re: Adding // comments (ANSI??)...

From: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding // comments (ANSI??)...
Date: 2003-02-05 02:36:26
Lists: pgsql-patches
> > I just had a friend over at EDS ask me if PostgreSQL supported //
> > comments.  It didn't, so I put together a patch for them so that they
> > could retain compatiblity across the databases they work on.
> >
> > I didn't think much of it until I took a gander at the crash-me page
> > on mysql.com and I couldn't find a single vendor that supports //
> > comments, but it did list // as an ANSI supported comment.  ::shrug::
> > I don't have a copy of the spec, so someone more knowledgable in that
> > area will have to speak to this or whether or not support for // is
> > even wantd, but, here's the patch and regression tests.  -sc
>
> As far as I'm aware, MySQL is the only database that supports '//'
> as a comment, and they made it up out of whole cloth...
>
> ANSI _C_ perhaps...

MySQL doesn't support //, unless you meant #.

http://www.mysql.com/information/crash-me.php
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Comments.html
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ANSI_diff_comments.html

Hrm, well, sybase, Microsoft, and a thing called "AceDB" do, but I
haven't seen high nor low of // being actually referenced as an ANSI
sanctioned comment style anywhere.  I guess that's just for the
archives or the C++/Java impared.  ::shrug::

http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-aw/awg0800e/dbrfen8/@Generic__BookTextView/7074
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/4076a.asp
http://www.acedb.org/Cornell/syntax.html

-sc