Re: Bug in pg_get_constraintdef (for deferrable constraints)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in pg_get_constraintdef (for deferrable constraints)
Date: 2003-01-01 21:15:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I see the values being stored on constriant creation, but not being used
> > anywhere:
>
> I believe the values that actually get inspected at runtime are the
> tgdeferrable and tginitdeferred fields in pg_trigger.  The columns in
> pg_constraint are just copies of these.
>
> It is not real clear to me whether it should be allowed to alter the
> deferrability status of a foreign-key constraint --- is that in the spec?

The big problem is that while pg_dump's dump_trigger() looks at
tginitdeferred and dumps accordingly, pg_get_constraintdef doesn't look
at tginitdeferred, and therefore doesn't record the requirement as part
of ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT.

Attached is a dump of the supplied example, showing that the outputs are the
same.   Looks like this is a must-fix for 7.3.2.