Re: Total crash of my db-server

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Total crash of my db-server
Date: 2002-12-15 23:20:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Henrik Steffen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> sometimes I experience a total crash of my
> db-server while e.g. doing automated maintainance tasks:

[...]

> Then, the script selects all user tables and starts
> reindexing them. Tonight, reindexeing the first table
> started and seconds later the whole server crashed.
>
> No ping, nothing else possible....

If you can't ping the system then it means that the operating system
itself has stopped working properly (the networking stack is managed
solely by the operating system).

That means that you've either managed to tickle a bug in the operating
system itself or you have a hardware problem.

You didn't mention what OS you're running under but it's more likely
that you have a hardware problem than an OS bug.

Moving to MySQL won't help you here, I'm afraid. Only fixing your
hardware will.

If this is a system that you depend on for production, I recommend
that you use ECC memory if at all possible. At least then you won't
have to worry nearly as much about the possibility of bad RAM silently
causing errors...

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com