Re: [BUGS] Problem

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Prasanna <prasannaphatak(at)vsnl(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Problem
Date: 2002-09-16 15:12:24
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-bugs
-bugs is the wrong place, redirected to -admin.

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Prasanna wrote:

> Im a standalone user of Linux 7.3. Im facing problem to start sql
> command
> Interpreter i.e. psql. See Ive first of all created a database using
> initdb dbms
> Command it gets created. And it also creates directory dbms which
> contains
> Many files and directories. That directory is /home/Prasanna/dbms.
> Now I want to start the server so I can start it by giving command
> /usr/bin/postmaster D dbms
> so it gets started. Now if I gave command like psql D dbms
> Then it gives error like
>
> Fatal 1: database name dbms is not present in the system catalog.
>
> Now what should I do? This fatal error appears on the postmaster server.
> Ive tried two nights for this psql but not getting success. May be Im
> wrong.
> Will you please tell me how to start the psql with my database created
> by
> Initdb. It will be very helpful to me.

The location of the data directory is not a database name, databases are
stored inside that location.  Try psql template1 or make a database
with createdb and connect to that (template1 is one of the template
databases for new databases so stuff you do there can pollute other
databases you create).