Re: Passwords and batch processes (was Re: Problem with

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David F(dot) Skoll" <dfs(at)roaringpenguin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Passwords and batch processes (was Re: Problem with
Date: 2002-08-23 17:29:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > 7.3 will have a password file read from the user's home directory that
> > will handle this; it can support multiple usernames in the same file.
>
> Sounds good. I assume you will pick the password based on
> the username/database server/database name combination?
>
> And I'm sure you'll do security checks on the file before using it
> (owned by the user, not world-readable, all parent directories have
> sane permissions and ownerships.) But I'll post this anyway as a gentle
> reminder. :-)

Commit message is:

I'm giving a try at some TODO items. Currently it's the turn of the
PGPASSWORDFILE environment variable. I have modified libpq to make use
of this variable. I present the first cut here.

Currently the format for the file should be

host:port:database:user:password

Alvaro Herrera

You can look in CVS at interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c. I don't see any
permission checks in there at all.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us