Re: Postgres idea list

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Postgres idea list
Date: 2002-06-26 01:53:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackers
On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> > What would be a win is an SQL like interface to editing pg_hba.conf and
> > postgresql.conf.  Once that was done PG_Admin could write a lovely
> > interface to manage them without requiring direct access to the files.
>
> I am going to keep arguing against PG_Admin as the primary solution to any of
> our administration UI challenges.   It's WINDOWS ONLY, darn it!

Agreed about specifically focusing on PGAdmin, *but*, there are other
interfaces that could really make use of such a feature ... PHPPgAdmin
being one ...

... but, the first argument against this is what happens if/when someone
puts in an entry in a 'pg_hba' table that blocks everyone from having
access?  Or similar changes ...

If I recall correctly, the main argument against moving pg_hba (as an
example) is that you would have to move the 'access restrictions' inside
the backend (postgres) itself, instead of the front end (postmaster),
creating a high probably of a DDoS attack being quite effective ...