Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a

From: Þórhallur Hálfdánarson <tolli(at)tol(dot)li>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a
Date: 2002-06-25 22:41:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

-*- Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> [ 2002-06-25 21:34 ]:
> On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 22:48, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Frankly, the only thing that MS SQL has over us is easy-but-unreliable GUI
> > admin tools (backup, user, and database management).
>
> We almost have it in pgAdmin and Tora.

Well, pgAdmin has come a long way -- some of my fellow admins that have Windows workstations use it, and does the developers at my company. Don't know Tora thought, must try it out sometime.

However, I think some sort of scheduling like MS SQL offers would be very helpful for newcomers. Scheduling stuff like backup (now only dumps), vacuum's and such with cron is unfortunately not straight-forward enough.

Merging configuration files is good. However, things like access control should IMO be configurable with SQL commands -- which would also help in development of better administration tools.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Tolli,
tolli(at)tol(dot)li