Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote totals for SET in aborted transaction
Date: 2002-04-25 20:32:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > My guess is that we should implement #1 and see what feedback we get in
> > 7.3.
>
> IMHO, it hasn't been thought out well enough to be implemented yet ... the
> options have been, but which to implement haven't ... right now, #1 is
> proposing to implement something that goes against what *at least* one of
> DBMS does ... so now you have programmers coming from that environment
> expecting one thing to happen, when a totally different thing results ...

But, they don't expect our current behavior either (which is really
weird). At least I haven't seen anyone complaining about our current
weird behavior, and we are improving it, at least as our users request
it.

In fact, Oracle doesn't implement rollback for DROP TABLE, and we
clearly wanted that feature, so do we ignore rollback for SET too?

I guess I don't see it as a killer if we can do better than Oracle, or
at least most of our users (including you) think it is better than
Oracle. If someone wants Oracle behavior after we do #1, we can add it,
right?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us