Re: Beating Oracle

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Badger <bbadger(at)BadgerSE(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Beating Oracle
Date: 2002-02-28 23:58:46
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Bruce Badger wrote:
> I posted a question a while back but got no response :-(
>
> Due to network glitch, a PostgreSQL connection over IP is being dropped.
>
> In the same situation, Oracle can keep it's connections going.
>
> Is there any way to keep PostgreSQL connections alive across glitches,
> or perhaps re-connect to an existing backend connection?
>
> I have people using a mix of PostgreSQL and Oracle at the moment. I
> suspect they will drop PostgreSQL if there is no answer to this issue.
>
> BTW I am the author of the Smalltalk PostgreSQL library
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/st-postgresql)

Wow, the TCP connection gets dropped and Oracle somehow reestablishes
the connection? That is a nice feature.

TCP has it's own restart logic that will handle the dropping of some
packets, but if the TCP connection itself shuts down, PostgreSQL has no
way of reestablishing it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us