Unicode and PGAccess

From: Frank Holt <frankh(at)uwm(dot)edu>
To: Postgresql List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unicode and PGAccess
Date: 2002-02-27 14:57:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I'm new here so please let me know if this is not on topic or I do anything
else wrong.

On my old system I used to use PGAccess to view data on a remote system. Now
I get the error:
Conversion from UNICODE and SQL_ASCII is not supported.

I have just loaded a 7.3 version of SuSE Linux (2.4.10 kernel) to replace my
7.2 system. I am running KDE 2.2.2.

When I reloaded the system I brought my old .pgaccessrc file along. I have
tried taking out any references to fonts and such from it.

Access the database with psql and using \set shows that the DB is indeed
SQL_ASCII so the problem seems to be on my (client) side.

A search of the docs shows how to set the encoding in the database, but I can
find no mention of setting it on the client side. If there is such a doc,
please point me to it.

A search of the list archives shows only that other people have had this
problem, but no real solutions other than some compile time options. I don't
have the source to PGAccess so if this is what I must do, please point me to
where the source may be obtained.

I hope someone here can help. If you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

--
Frank Holt