Re: anyone can help?

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: Melisa <lin_melisa(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: anyone can help?
Date: 2001-12-10 19:08:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:05:03PM -0800, Melisa wrote:
> asked to do something I really don't know how to do it. anyone can
> help?

We can give you pointers.

> my boos wanted me to build an interface to put ou the web page to
> serve our customers. it's simple, the database is already there,
> there's products' detail,manufacturers' detail and price plus
> products' picture. my boss just want me to create a window (maybe
> java? or can I write a VB program?), use three combo-boxes to let

Java, VB, PHP, Tcl, Python, Perl, etc. depends mostly on the web
server you are running. I'd stay away from Java since your need is very
simple and doesn't justify the added complexity that Java brings (from
what you've told us).

> customers chose from product model, manufactures and price range. then
> clike a button and the picture and the detail will show in a textarea.
> but I don't know how to write the SQL, anyone can help?
>
> p.s: for example, when customers first choose product, the price and
> manufactures list box will show only math records. vice versa.

This is pretty simple to do. But everything, from the client language to
the SQL (to some extent) will depend on your server environment. What web
server? what database server? What languages do you have available?

There are several tutorials to do this kind of thing. Stay away from the
MySQL-type tutorials (usually written by idiots) and you should be safe.

-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+
Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU - http://www.brasileiro.net