Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opens

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opens
Date: 2001-11-28 20:13:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > The idea of allowing the password to be stored in a file with 600
> > permissions seems quite standard.  CVS does this.
>
> Seems it would be nice if psql could accept a switch along the lines of
> 	--password-is-in-file filename
> and go off to read the password from the named file (which we hope is
> secured correctly).

We can check security of the file if we wish.

> Or take it a little further: what about defining a PGPASSWORDFILE
> environment variable that libpq would consult, before or instead of
> PGPASSWORD?  That would give us the same feature for free across all
> libpq-using apps, not only psql.  Exposing a file name in the
> environment is not a security risk, I hope.

Yes, seems like a good idea.  Seems we may need both.  Either we allow
multiple host/password combinations in the file or we need a psql flag,
but then again, a psql flag doesn't cover the other interfaces.  We
could require they use one password file per host.

Added to TODO:

  * Add PGPASSWORDFILE password file capability to libpq and psql flag