Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] To Postgres Devs : Wouldn't changing the selectlimit
Date: 2001-10-23 04:24:24
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
> But that's past.  It's mighty close to beta -- is this fix a showstopper?
> The behavior currently is rather broken according to the results of the
> discussion on general.  Do we really want a whole 'nother major version cycle
> to pass before this kludge is fixed?  Six months to a year down the road?
>
> The longer this behavior is in the code, the harder it's going to be to
> remove it, IMNSHO.

We just have too many opinions here.  I have put it back and noted it
will be removed in 7.3.  If someone else wants to propose it to be
removed in 7.2 and have a vote, and do the work, and take the heat, go
ahead. I am not going to do it.

It is just like the grief I got over jdbc patches for 7.1.  At some
point it is not worth having people get upset at me over it.  Basically,
you have removed any desire I have to resolve this.

FYI, my personal opinion is that we should keep it around for one more
release because forcing people to remove it from the queries with no
warning is more disruptive, I think, than the fact we don't match
MySQL's syntax.  Also, LIMIT #,# is no longer documented.  That change
will be in 7.2.  Of course, that means that if someone tries MySQL's
syntax, they have no documentation stating that the params are
backwards.   If they read the HISTORY file, they will know not to use
LIMIT #,# anyway.