Re: Spinlock performance improvement proposal

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Spinlock performance improvement proposal
Date: 2001-10-01 18:49:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> This is still missing a bet since it fails to mention the option of
> adjusting -B and -N instead of changing kernel parameters, but that's
> easily fixed.  I propose that we reword this message and the semget
> one to mention first the option of changing -B/-N and second the option
> of changing kernel parameters.  Then we could consider raising the
> default -B setting to something more realistic.

Yes, we could do that but it makes things harder for newbies and really
isn't the right numbers for production use anyway.  I think anyone using
default values should see a message asking them to tune it.  Can we
throw a message during initdb?  Of course, we don't have a running
backend at that point so you would always throw a message.

From postmaster startup, by default, could we try larger amounts of
buffer memory until it fails then back off and allocate that?  Seems
like a nice default to me.