Re: Performance question (stripped down the problem)

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Steve Wolfe <steve(at)iboats(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance question (stripped down the problem)
Date: 2001-09-29 08:30:13
Lists: pgsql-general
On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 10:25:13AM -0600, Steve Wolfe wrote:
> > There is a user specifieable value somewhere that controls how expensive
> an
> > index scan is and how expensive a seqential scan is. By tuning those you
> > could probably get the effect you want.
>
>   Hmmm.... nice.  Can anybody point me to that value?

In the documentation, section 3.4.1 here.

PostgreSQL 7.1.3 Administrator's Guide > Server Runtime Environment >
   Planner and Optimizer Tuning

There's a whole bunch of tunable variables. It does say that there is not
much idea of what values are good so any experiments would be helpful.

HTH,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/