Re: Re: Proposal for encrypting pg_shadow passwords

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal for encrypting pg_shadow passwords
Date: 2001-08-16 00:09:15
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > That is from Vince's code, I think. Can you suggest a fix?
> >
> > > What's your rush? Is there a deadline now?
> >
> > I want to do SCM patch, then write presentation for LinuxWorld, and go
> > to Linuxworld. Then we are at the end of August. Also, people need to
> > do the Java MD5 code, and if I want that before we start 7.2 beta, I
> > feel rushed.
>
> Interesting... When I first put together a test version of the md5
> stuff and asked this list to check it out on as many platforms as
> possible I got one or two responses. I now know the only way to get
> more than a couple of responses is to threaten the code be committed. :(

Yep. The cool part is that people are already using it (or at least
compiling it).

I am making good progress on the SCM credentials stuff now. It will
work on FreeBSD and BSD/OS and hopefully others. This, with clarified
pg_hba.conf, and the encrypted pg_shadow stuff should make our
authentication more secure in 7.2. I never liked that TRUST option.

Vince, I can't figure out how that pgcrypto API for MD5. I have to
strip out the general stuff, and when I do, do I leave MD5 stuff in
pgcrypto. Confusing.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us