Configuration of statistical views

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Configuration of statistical views
Date: 2001-06-29 13:20:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

    OK,  all  the  high-frequently called functions of the pgstat
    stuff are macros (will commit that later today).

    Now about the per database configuration. The thing is that I
    don't  know  if it is worth doing it too detailed. #ifdef'ing
    out the functionality I have the following wallclock runtimes
    for the regression test on a 500MHz P-III:

        Backend does nothing:               1:03
        Backend sends per table
            scan and block IO:              1:05
        Backend sends per table
            info plus querystring:          1:10

    If  somebody  wants  to  see  an applications querystring (at
    least the first 512 bytes) just in case something goes  wrong
    and  the client hangs, he'd have to run querystring reporting
    all the time either way.

    So I can see value in a per database default  in  pg_database
    plus the ability to switch it on/off via statement to analyze
    single commands.

    What do others think?

Jan