Re: PGACCESS: error trying to connect...

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tim Boring <tboring(at)insight(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGACCESS: error trying to connect...
Date: 2001-05-08 15:31:57
Lists: pgsql-admin
Tim Boring wrote:
  >I've successfully installed pgsql 7.0.3 on my SuSE 7.0 system and can create
  >dbs, users, etc. from the psql terminal.  However, if I want to try to use
  >pgaccess it gives me the following error message:
  >
  >"Connection to database failed PQconnectPoll() -- connect() failed:
  >Connection refused. Is the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost' and
  >accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432'?"
  >
  >So I shutdown the postmaster and tried restarting like this:
  >postmaster -D -i /var/lib/pgsql/data > logfile 2>&1 &
  >
  >but it doesn't start the postmaster.  If I leave off the -i it will start, b
      >ut
  >then I'm back to square one as far as using pgaccess.
  >
  >Out of curiousity, since I'm trying to use pgaccess on the localhost, should
      >n't
  >it just use regular Linux sockets and not try to connect via TCP/IP?  It see
      >ms
  >odd that I can connect to the server from the psql terminal without setting
      >the
  >-i option on the postmaster but not from pgaccess.

Leave the hostname field blank in the connection dialog; pgaccess will then
use Unix sockets instead of TCP/IP.  localhost is a TCP/IP hostname.

This is not specific to pgaccess; if PGHOST is in your environment and not
empty, any connection to the postmaster will use TCP/IP unless overridden.

--
Oliver Elphick                                Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
     "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: benoit.le-dizes@voila.frDate: 2001-05-08 16:23:27