Re: PGACCESS: error trying to connect...

From: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Tim Boring <tboring(at)insight(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGACCESS: error trying to connect...
Date: 2001-05-08 15:31:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tim Boring wrote:
>I've successfully installed pgsql 7.0.3 on my SuSE 7.0 system and can create
>dbs, users, etc. from the psql terminal. However, if I want to try to use
>pgaccess it gives me the following error message:
>
>"Connection to database failed PQconnectPoll() -- connect() failed:
>Connection refused. Is the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost' and
>accepting connections on TCP/IP port 5432'?"
>
>So I shutdown the postmaster and tried restarting like this:
>postmaster -D -i /var/lib/pgsql/data > logfile 2>&1 &
>
>but it doesn't start the postmaster. If I leave off the -i it will start, b
>ut
>then I'm back to square one as far as using pgaccess.
>
>Out of curiousity, since I'm trying to use pgaccess on the localhost, should
>n't
>it just use regular Linux sockets and not try to connect via TCP/IP? It see
>ms
>odd that I can connect to the server from the psql terminal without setting
>the
>-i option on the postmaster but not from pgaccess.

Leave the hostname field blank in the connection dialog; pgaccess will then
use Unix sockets instead of TCP/IP. localhost is a TCP/IP hostname.

This is not specific to pgaccess; if PGHOST is in your environment and not
empty, any connection to the postmaster will use TCP/IP unless overridden.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver