Re: Thanks, naming conventions, and count()

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Casey Lyon <casey(at)earthcars(dot)com>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thanks, naming conventions, and count()
Date: 2001-04-30 03:54:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Here is what I suggested for oid2name to do with file names:

Just seems like a major pain; not worth the work.

If you do a ls and pipe it,  here is what you would need to do:

- find out where $PWD is
- in that database (found from PID),  for each file in the dir,  look it
up using oid2name
- print that out

problems:
- ls -l vs ls
- column are different for differing OSs / filesystems
- du will REALLY suck
- what if the user tries to do "ls /var/postgres/data/base/12364"  Will
you try to parse out the request?  Ugh.  no thanks.

I also don't think people will have much reason to use the script.
oid2name will have little enough use,  what use will the script have?  Who
knows..  I guess keep it on back burner till there is a demand.