Re: Re: local mailing lists

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: tomaz(dot)borstnar(at)over(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2001-02-27 03:41:42
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

> Subject caught my eye, but I don't recognize the thread ... sorry ...
>
> ... what are ppl looking for here? what do you mean by 'local mailing
> lists'? in various languages?

I think so.

> if so, definitely doable, but, for
> moderating purposes, will need ppl that can read those languages to
> volunteer and moderate those lists, since I'll never know whether its spam
> or pertinent to the list :)

Right. That kind of mailing lists should be managed by native
speakers.

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Tomaz Borstnar wrote:
>
> > At 01:29 17.2.2001, Tatsuo Ishii wrote the following message:
> > >One idea is encouraging people to make local mailing lists all over
> > >the world.
> >
> > Could be hosted on postgresql.org or maybe add aliases for local stuff like
> > si.postgresql.org for Slovene version, etc?
> >
> > Would be nice to have uniform names so one can easily find local versions
> > of information.

Actually "Japan PostgreSQL usrs' Group" (established in 1997) obtained
a subdmain jp.postgresql.org (Thanks Marc for handling that!) The
local users' group has a mailing list but it's currently for group
members only to discuss on non-techinial issues such as attending
local conferences, having private seminars etc.

Right now a mailing list for discussion on technical issues exists in
Japan (managed by me), but served by a contribution from a commercial
company in Japan. There is a plan moving the list to
jp.postgresql.org. Or should we move the list to postgresq.org?
It has over 4000 subscribers, but the traffic is low (+5 per day).
--
Tatsuo Ishii