GPL, readline, and static/dynamic linking

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: GPL, readline, and static/dynamic linking
Date: 2001-02-22 15:50:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here is an article about GPL and GPL version 3.0.

http://icd.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&SubSection=Display&ARTICLE_ID=92350&VERSION_NUM=1

The interesting thing is that Stallman says:

"Our position is that it makes no difference whether programs are linked
statically or dynamically," explains Stallman. "Either one makes a
combined program.

This would seem to imply that our dynamic linking of libreadline in
PostgreSQL backend binaries makes the distribution of backend binaries
fall under the GPL. (Of course, we can use *BSD libedit now.)

Let me add I don't agree with this, and find the whole GPL
heavy-handedness very distasteful.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us