Re: Fixes to index pages

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixes to index pages
Date: 2001-02-22 03:56:57
Lists: pgsql-patches
> >> What happened to our discussion about keeping t_info bit 13 unused??
>
> > I wasn't going to reserve it in the patch. I figured I would make all
> > the items/flags match, and if someone wants to reserve it, it is easy to
> > do in one place.  I imagine 7.2 is going to be dump/reload anyway so the
> > decision can be made during development cycle.  I basically didn't want
> > to leave a bit gap and leave it unnamed because it could cause
> > confusion.
>
> I object.  Strongly.  You are making a significant change without
> discussion --- in fact, contrary to what discussion there has been.
> This is not a "trivial cleanup".

OK, attached is the patch.  I guess I don't understand how what I am
doing affects anything.

I realize you were commenting about the earlier patch that gave the 13th
bit to the length.  I now see the issue you were talking about was this
test:

	/*
	 * Here we make sure that the size will fit in the field reserved for
	 * it in t_info.
	 */
	if ((size & INDEX_SIZE_MASK) != size)
		elog(ERROR, "index_formtuple: data takes %lu bytes, max is %d",
			 (unsigned long) size, INDEX_SIZE_MASK);

I originally didn't realize that expanding the _storage_ space for the
index tuples actually allow storage of longer tuples.  I see that now,
and this is why I just mark the patch as UNUSED.  I will let others
handle it.