Re: Fixes to index pages

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixes to index pages
Date: 2001-02-22 00:31:04
Lists: pgsql-patches
> > Tom, here are the changes I was thinking about to clean up a few areas
> > in index pages tables.  I will hold the patch until 7.2.
>
> What happened to our discussion about keeping t_info bit 13 unused??

I wasn't going to reserve it in the patch. I figured I would make all
the items/flags match, and if someone wants to reserve it, it is easy to
do in one place.  I imagine 7.2 is going to be dump/reload anyway so the
decision can be made during development cycle.  I basically didn't want
to leave a bit gap and leave it unnamed because it could cause
confusion.

> Still don't like the name "IndexTupleHasVars" ... sounds to me like that
> means it has variables in it, which is not very sensical.  Maybe
> "IndexTupleHasVarlenas"?

Done.  Patch attached.

> Also, if you don't put some dashes around the comment in itup.h line
> 27ff, pgindent will munge it for you, just like it did for the last guy.
> (Have I mentioned that I really hate pgindent's handling of comment
> blocks?)

I see.  Done.  That comment wrapping is a _feature_ of BSD indent.  I
can easily disable it if people don't want it.  I have seen it clean up
some pretty ugly comments, but I have seen it mess a few too.  I think
it does better good than harm, but others may disagree.