Re: beta testing version

From: Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-02 23:47:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 03:51:15PM -0600, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 11:31:37AM -0800, Don Baccus wrote:

> > >Good question... See http://www.erserver.com/.
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Boy, I can just imagine the uproar this statement will cause on Slashdot when
> > the world finds out about it.
> >

> That one doesn't worry me us much as this quote from the press release at
>
> http://www.pgsql.com/press/PR_5.html
>
> "We expect to have the source code tested and ready to contribute to
> the open source community before the middle of October. Until that time
> we are considering requests from a number of development companies and
> venture capital groups to join us in this process."
>
> Where's the damn core code? I've seen a number of examples already of
> people asking about remote access/replication function, with an eye
> toward implementing it, and being told "PostgreSQL, Inc. is working
> on that". It's almost Microsoftesque: preannounce future functionality
> suppressing the competition.

For What It's Worth: In the three years (has it really been that long?)
that I've been off and on Postgres mailing lists, I've probably seen at
least 100 requests for replication, with about 40 of them mentioning
implementing it themself.

I'm pretty sure that being told "PostgreSQL Inc. is working on that" is
not the only thing stopping it from happening. Most people just aren't up
to making it happen.

--
Adam Haberlach |"California's the big burrito, Texas is the big
adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com | taco ... and following that theme, Florida is