Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/contrib/pg_dumpaccounts (Makefile README pg_dumpaccounts.sh)
Date: 2000-11-03 18:02:22
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > OK, we have votes from Lamar, Ned, Jan, and someone else to keep it in
> > /contrib, votes from Marc and Tom to remove it completely.
> >
> > Other votes?
>
> What part of "no new features in bug-fix releases" is giving people
> trouble?
>
> If Great Bridge wants this in their platinum certified re-release, nothing
> is stopping them.  If Great Bridge "bugs" people to release ASAP, why
> don't they release it themselves?

Certainly none of this should be based on Great Bridge and their
supplying of the patch, though their contacting Jan directly and him
making the change with no discussion was a major mistake.  Also, having
him install it as a new command in /bin/pg_dump/ was a major mistake
too.

I have talked to GB and they understand their error.  Some people want
to yank it out of /contrib too because of this error, and I can
understand that reaction.

It just re-illustrates that Great Bridge has some things to learn in
working with the open-source community.

The larger questions is whether we allow feature additions to /contrib
in minor releases.  I think we do.  In fact, I think I have even
installed new 3rd party stuff like pgaccess in minor releases.  In fact,
6.5.3 has

	Updated version of pgaccess 0.98

and I am not sure if that was a bug fix or feature change to pgaccess,
but the conclusion was that it is a 3rd party thing and the person who
wrote it is responsible for making sure it works.  I think the same can
be said of /contrib.

Comments?