Re: confused about *nix ODBC drivers

From: Maarten Boekhold <Maarten(dot)Boekhold(at)reuters(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
Subject: Re: confused about *nix ODBC drivers
Date: 2000-10-30 11:33:12
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

>> I am rather confused: There is unixODBC, the iODBC manager and
>> the latter of which provides an ftp link to "the latest" PostgreSQL
>> at, which turns out to be dated from 1998. There is
>> also an ODBC driver included with the sources.
>iODBC is a driver manager; on Linux I use it to connect Applix to
>PostgreSQL via the psqlODBC driver included with the PostgreSQL sources.

Just trying to clear some stuff up:

Your application uses ODBC calls, therefore it needs to link to an ODBC
driver manager. iODBC is an example of this.

iODBC is a library that provides your application with the ODBC functions.
When establishing a database connection you tell it a Data Source Name
(DSN). The iODBC library will look in a file (~/.odbc for example) which
contains a list of mappings between these DSN's and database specific
libraries. These database specific libraries just provide a mapping
between ODBC calls and native database calls.

The ODBC driver that comes with the postgresql source is an example of
such a database specific library.

The Openlink drivers are actually not that expensive if you compare them
with other 3th party ODBC drivers for UNIX, but I agree that for personal
use it's a lot of money.

Openlink *does* allow you to download an evaluation copy of the multi-tier
Universal Data Access set (that's the only one that works on UNIX, the
single-tier editon is only available for windows platforms).

Even if you use Openlink, you would need a separate driver manager. They
actually recommend iODBC.

Hope this information helped (maybe FAQ material?).

        Visit our Internet site at

the views of Reuters Ltd.

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Richard A. HollandDate: 2000-10-30 14:53:14