confused about *nix ODBC drivers

From: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: confused about *nix ODBC drivers
Date: 2000-10-27 11:15:17
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I´ve been looking around to find the definitve, current,
most-up-to-date, maintained, tried-and-tested ODBC driver for *nix, and
I am rather confused: There is unixODBC, the iODBC manager and FreeODBC,
the latter of which provides an ftp link to "the latest" PostgreSQL ODBC
at ftp.informika.ru, which turns out to be dated from 1998. There is
also an ODBC driver included with the sources.

I have an application (Real Streaming Video Server version 7, the
free one which is restriced to 25 concurrent streams) that provides the
option to hook it up to a database via ODBC for authentication purposes.
I don´t know whether it would work, or has been tested, under Linux
(Real seems to have an MS bias) but in theory it should, I believe, if
the authentication mechanism can interface with ODBC.

For the initial testing, I would be running the PostgreSQL server on the
same box as the Real server, but eventually I would like to separate it
so as to have a 2-tier (I think this would be called 2-tier, if the
application is not on the same physical machine as the database server)
setup. Openlinksw provides multi-tier ODBC drivers but they´re not free
(actually quite expensive) as far as I could see. If I want to use
iODBC, which driver do I need? Where is it? Does the free iODBC version
support my (very simple) multi-tier setup? Can I use unixODBC for this?
Would I use the same driver as for iODBC? Is 7.1 properly supported (I
need 7.1 because of the TOASTed column support)?

Cheers, Frank

--
frank joerdens

joerdens new media