I built a postgresql.jar file from the HEAD of CVS on 9/13/2000.
According to the CVS logs, this includes code to support correct
handling of UNICODE (UTF-8) characters in the JDBC driver, provided
that the database is, in fact, a unicode database.
The driver simply does not work as advertised. I ran the
example.Unicode test and it confirmed the problem I encountered in my
own code by reporting that each of the strings inserted was different
from those returned by a subsequent select.
Browsing in the pgsql-interfaces archives, I found that a
user-contributed patch that DOES work and which has a bit more
intelligence about setting reasonable defaults for the encoding (it
asks the backend which encoding to use).
That patch is available at
I believe that this patch - which is a superior implementation, I might
add - should replace the current, broken encoding handler.
P.S. I tried to submit this as a bug using the web interface for bug
reports, but that reported the following error:
Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: No pg_hba.conf entry for host localhost, user vev, database postgresql in
/home/projects/pgsql/ftp/www/html/bugs/bugs.php on line 150
Unable to access database
It is unclear to me how to report a bug on the bug system. ;-)
pgsql-interfaces by date
|Next:||From: Carl Shelbourne||Date: 2000-09-14 08:49:34|
|Subject: UnixODBC/Postgres & Excel...|
|Previous:||From: Peter Mount||Date: 2000-09-14 01:27:40|
|Subject: Re: JDBC getDatabaseProductVersion() patch|