Re: Re: Future plans for raw devices ?

From: Ragnar Kjørstad <postgres(at)ragnark(dot)vestdata(dot)no>
To: pyz(at)panix(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Future plans for raw devices ?
Date: 2000-06-02 19:57:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 02:26:58PM -0400, pyz(at)panix(dot)com wrote:
> > I know about Informix, but I heard Oracle was moving away from raw
> > devices, and the speed improvement was only a few percentage points.
>
> For Informix it's far more than a few percentage points; and then
> when you add striping you move even faster.

There is nothing stopping you from using striping with filesystems.

The overhead of using filesystems are very small, so the only way to get
better performance is from doing better caching.

In other words, it only makes sence if using raw devices disable the
buffer-cache, and the database cache is better than the OS-cache. It
will be very different from OS to OS.

--
Ragnar Kjørstad