Re: ODBC and crypted passwords

From: Stephen Davies <scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Henk van Lingen <henkvl(at)cs(dot)uu(dot)nl>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Subject: Re: ODBC and crypted passwords
Date: 2000-04-09 22:57:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
I believe that the US export restrictions have been lifted.

cheers,
Stephen Davies.

Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>  wrote:

> >> I imagine the problem is that he doesn't want to depend on the 'crypt'
> >> library, which is standard on Unixen but not (AFAIK) on Windows.
> >> Otherwise it'd be easy to transpose libpq's code into the odbc driver.
> >> (OTOH, I believe there are ports of libpq for Windows, so
> >> maybe crypt() is available there?  Anyone know?)
>
> > Actually, the crypt()ed authentication is not supported on libpq for Win32.
> > I meant to do this, but I had completely forgotten...
>
> Hmm.  Can we find a freely-distributable version of libcrypt anywhere?
>
> (Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure that crypt()
> implements exactly the same transformation on every Unix platform.
> It may be that you have to have a version of crypt() that matches the
> one on your server's platform.  That would be a pain in the neck ...
> but if we did find an open-source libcrypt, maybe we could standardize
> on using it in preference to vendor crypts...)
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Stephen Davies Consulting	    		      scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au
Adelaide, South Australia.     		          Voice: 08-8177 1595
Computing & Network solutions.	 	      Fax: 08-8177 0133

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Patrick WelcheDate: 2000-04-10 09:36:13
Previous:From: Alex VerstakDate: 2000-04-09 20:22:58