Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Date: 2008-12-03 07:36:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Greg,

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:17 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
> ./pgtune -i ~/data/postgresql.conf

First, thanks for your work: it will really help a lot of people to
have a decent default configuration.

A couple of comments from reading the code (I didn't run it yet):
- it would be really nice to make it work with Python 2.4 as RHEL 5 is
a Python 2.4 thing and it is a very widespread platform out there,
- considering the audience of this tool, I think you should explain in
the usage text which type of workload implies each database type (DW,
OLTP, Web, Mixed, Desktop).
- not sure of the wording of "The file this needs to operate correctly
can be generated with:"
- it would be nice to be able to define the architecture (32-64 bits)
from the command line (especially considering I won't be able to run
it on our target boxes which are all RHEL 5 :))

I'll see if I have more feedback while testing it for real.

--
Guillaume