Re: [HACKERS] How to get info about deadlocks?

From: Massimo Dal Zotto <dz(at)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org (PostgreSQL Hackers)
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] How to get info about deadlocks?
Date: 1999-11-29 17:47:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I've been experimenting with concurrent VACUUMs and getting occasional
> > instances of
> >
> > NOTICE: Deadlock detected -- See the lock(l) manual page for a possible cause.
> > ERROR: WaitOnLock: error on wakeup - Aborting this transaction
> >
> > It would be really nice if I could find out the particular locks that
> > are causing this conflict --- but the code that emits these messages
> > isn't very transparent :-(. Can anyone explain how to determine just
> > what the deadlock is?
> >

> Massimo has some. See the top of lock.c for pg_options flags to dump
> out locks.

Yes, there is a DumpAllLocks() which should dump the lock table in case of
deadlock, but I have never been able to find any useful information from it.
The code is non compiled by default unless you define DEADLOCK_DEBUG.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

| Massimo Dal Zotto email: dz(at)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it |
| Via Marconi, 141 phone: ++39-0461534251 |
| 38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN) www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/ |
| Italy pgp: finger dz(at)tango(dot)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it |